August 14, 2008

Hello. Goodbye.

Hello Beautiful,

Today is your first day of third grade. I don't think I'm old enough to have a third grader, I mean I'm only 26 years old, right? No, I guess not. That's how old I was when you were born. The time has just seemed to fly right by since the first moment I held your pink squishy softness in my arms.

This last year has been a big one for you. For us both really. For one, I seem to have gotten my little girl back a little bit. Not that I lost you at all, but I always say that around 18 months old, my kids quit being my babies and turn into Daddy's little girls. And really who can blame you when the three of you have the best daddy in the world. I love it in fact. Watching how much you all adore him, and love to be with him is one of the most beautiful things my eyes will EVER see. But over the last year, I've noticed you snuggle a little closer to me on the couch, hug me out of the blue and request shopping trips of just you and I. With each snuggle and hug I try to breathe in deeply ... hoping to permanently affix that moment in time.

This year also brought about a change in your heart. I wanted to write about it at the time ... I tried to write about it at the time. In fact, I still have the draft sitting in my blog account. But somehow, I just couldn't find the words to fully encompass my joy for you. In you. Last spring, in early April, just before bed, you knelt with your daddy (your sisters at your side), and tenderly asked Jesus to be your Lord and Savior. It was a moment that your dad and I had watched evolve in your head since you were very young. (At the age of four you asked me "Mommy, why does sometimes my heart want to do good, but my head says 'no'?" It blew my mind how at such a young age, you could understand such a seemingly complicated biblical principle.) I've treasured watching the Lord work in your life since that time. And I will treasure each moment that is yet to come.

I love you so much baby, and I'm more proud of you than you could ever comprehend. Enjoy your third grade year, and all of the new independence that may bring.

All My Love,
Your Mama

(I know this isn't a photo of you and I, but I think you know by now that your mom is never going to be photo ready this early in the morning. If only we took AFTER the first day of school pictures .....)