May 16, 2008

It would appear that she was never LONESOME

At the beginning of April, Aldi had a sale on some lovely potted hanging plants. So I grabbed one, threw it up on the front porch, and declared it Spring. When my friend Rebekah saw it, she told me the horror story of their hanging plant and how it became home to a freakishly overprotective bird. Frightening stories of her poor family forced into ducking and covering their heads just to get in and out of the house.

Apparently these stories weren't frightening enough, because I didn't move the plant, and shortly thereafter we found we had a new tenant.

Isn't she pretty? I think she's saying "Can't a girl get some privacy while she hatches an egg?!? Sheesh!!!"

Contrary to popular stereotypes, she was actually very quiet. However, I was still a little afraid that as soon as her babies hatched, she'd turn into a freak. A swooping, flapping, squawking freak.

Today, almost a month after her arrival, we saw her two little babies for the first time as we sent Sporty off to school.
And look, mama's not freaking out .... which I guess shouldn't be surprising. You know around this house, mama's are KNOWN for being sweet and docile. (ahem)

So I looked on the google to see if I could determine what kind of bird family we have here, and it looks like we have Doves. aahhhh.

So happy birthday little Doves!

And thanks mama for not attacking our friends and family as they visit. However, the next time a little neighbor child comes over, with the intent to ring the doorbell, right in the middle of nap time, and thereby ending all of this mama's blessed peace, feel free to do a little swooping and squawking. I'm sure you understand how hard it is to get those young'uns to rest!